On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Robert Sparks <rjspa...@nostrum.com> wrote:

> Right now, you leave the DHCP server (when it's used) responsible for
> clearing state in the MUD controller. Please discuss what happens when
> those are distinct elements (as you have in the end of section 9.2) and
> the DHCP server reboots. Perhaps it would make sense for the DHCP server
> to hand the length of the lease it has granted to the MUD controller and
> let the MUD controller clean up on its own?

I would like to add a few words to the comprehensive review presented by
Robert Sparks (I hope it is proper etiquette on this list to do so).

With respect to the observation above:

There is also a cache timeout in the MUD profile. Does it make sense  that
the MUD controller should take the minimum of the DHCP lease time and the
cache timeout and use that to time out the installed ACLs (?) The DHCP
server should also  pass to the MUD controller, some way of identifying the
device to which the lease has been granted (for example the MAC address of
the device).

The draft also not specify how the DHCP server will communicate with the
MUD controller (presumably via a simple REST interface but what is the URL
to be used and how are the parameters passed?). I think this should be
specified for interoperability between DHCP clients and MUD servers. Maybe
words describing this interaction can be added here.

Thanks,

Ranga.

M. Ranganathan