While I agree that this is beyond the scope of the initial MUD draft, I’m not
sure I agree that this is beyond the scope of MUD in the longer term.

If a manufacturer can define behavior in this way, why wouldn’t it possibly be
a new policy type that can be an extension/augmentation to the MUD YANG module?

But I do also agree that things like rate limits are, and should continue to be
at the discretion of the network administrator. For example, if the
administrator determines that her policy is “20 connection attempts per
second”, a MUD policy saying a device type might be “30 connection attempts per
second” would just be taken as an advisory, not something that needs to be
embodied in policy. However, if a manufacturer defines an expected rate lower
than they would normally allow, that can potentially be an input to, for
example, IDS configs.

Cheers,

Einar

On 11 Sep 2017, at 16:28, Thorsten Dahm