Dear OPSAWG and Netmod colleagues,

                During last IETF Opsawg meeting we raised a question (and there
was some discussion during the meeting) that we have found yet no good answer
and we would like to discuss it with operations and Yang experts.

                The use case is the following:  We have a yang module which
holds certain optional leafs. The behaviors that we would like to have (and
distinguish between them) are:

a)       The user does not provide the value and such value is auto-assigned by
the system (a  device (if it is a device module) or a controller (if it is a
network/service module)).

b)      The user does not provide a value and wants that such value IS NOT set
by the system (as assigning a value has implications). That is, intentionally
it is aimed at being left "empty" and should not be expanded. So, either the
value is set or should remain empty

What is the best way to model this behavior? I see that some yang modules have
added an "auto-assignment" leaf to express if auto-assignment is desired or
not. (hence, auto-assignment false, and leaf not set, would  do not assign).

Which is the "default" rule for a leaf that is not set? It is that the system
is free to create it (via template or any means of auto-assignment) or should
leave it as is, that is, empty?

In NMDA, the system is allowed to expand a given configuration. This fact, in
my personal view,  implies that by "default" any system could implement the
"auto-assignment" behavior being compliant with Neconf/Restconf/NMDA rules (but
I am not sure if the interpretation is correct).

Best Regards,

                Óscar

________________________________

Este mensaje y sus adjuntos se dirigen exclusivamente a su destinatario, puede
contener información privilegiada o confidencial y es para uso exclusivo de la
persona o entidad de destino. Si no es usted. el destinatario indicado, queda
notificado de que la lectura, utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin
autorización puede estar prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha
recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente
por esta misma vía y proceda a su destrucción.

The information contained in this transmission is privileged and confidential
information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, do not
read it. Please immediately reply to the sender that you have received this
communication in error and then delete it.

Esta mensagem e seus anexos se dirigem exclusivamente ao seu destinatário, pode
conter informação privilegiada ou confidencial e é para uso exclusivo da pessoa
ou entidade de destino. Se não é vossa senhoria o destinatário indicado, fica
notificado de que a leitura, utilização, divulgação e/ou cópia sem autorização
pode estar proibida em virtude da legislação vigente. Se recebeu esta mensagem
por erro, rogamos-lhe que nos o comunique imediatamente por esta mesma via e
proceda a sua destruição