Hi Francesca,

Thanks for your review and comments.  Happy to discuss this in today's telechat
if that helps.  I have also provided some comments inline.  My comments are
also somewhat inline with my comments to Roman's discuss, so perhaps worth
seeing my reply to Roman if you have not already done so.

[RW]

I don't know, but assuming that the discussion happening around the time of
Eliot's message then that would have been before I was an AD.  I don't know if
the WG chairs recall more of the discussion that occurred?

> Another point the authors made in favor of keeping this std track was that
> they
> haven't seen any YANG data model published as informational. Again, I am
> not
> convinced that this is reason enough to progress this as std track.
[RW]

My personal opinion is that Stds Track is generally the right classification
for YANG modules standardized in the IETF.

In this particular case, I think that there is a distinction between a
proprietary protocol that has correctly been documented in an informational RFC
(RFC 8907), and a standard management API (i.e., MIB or YANG model) for
configuring and managing that protocol that has been developed and evolved in
the IETF.

In addition, I understand that there is also a desire to improve some of the
security aspects for how TACACS+ is configured.  Although from a technical
perspective it doesn't matter at all, if IETF produces a YANG module that
augments this YANG module with extra security parameters, I would expect such a
document to be Stds Track, and building on this document as Stds Track may
possibly be easier process wise in the future.

I suspect that there will be further examples of this over time, and whilst I
am loathed to introduce any more process into the IETF, the routing ADs were
also asking for guidance on what document status to use (in that case for an
experimental protocol).  I suspect that agreeing some informal guidance within
the IESG might be helpful (action for me).

Regards,
Rob