-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Carsten Bormann [mailto:c...@tzi.org]
发送时间: 2021年10月26日 14:35
收件人: Qin Wu <bill...@huawei.com>
抄送: opsawg@ietf.org
主题: Re: [OPSAWG] 🔔 WG Adoption Call for draft-gharris-opsawg-pcap-02

Hi Qin,

On 26. Oct 2021, at 03:43, Qin Wu <bill...@huawei.com> wrote:

> I am not against this draft. I am just thinking whether Independent
> submission stream process is a better choice for this document

I’m not sure which “this document” you are discussing here, as Michael asked
about both pcap and pcapng.
Let’s assume you are talking about pcap.

[Qin Wu] Yes and no, related to both, I think.

> in the first round when WG and IESG have no change control to this work.

I have no idea what a second round would be.
The pcap format needs to be published only once.

[Qin Wu] My impression is that pcap will be the first and pcapng will derive
from it. Maybe I am wrong, I am not clear
the relation between these two.

The pcap document *could* be an independent submission.
However, the document will benefit from wide review, as it is documenting
widely spread practice, which makes the WG process more useful.

[Qin Wu] Just to clarify that my comment is more related to process for
publication of this work, not aim at technical content.
If this document doesn't change the control from "The Tcpdump Group" to IETF or
IESG or individual person, I feel we follow the wrong IETF registry template.
This comment is applied to both section 8.1 and 8.2.
That is why I feel Independent stream process is a better choice, but I also
realized that Independent stream process doesn't provide IETF registry for new
link type or new media type.
That is the tricking point.

Yes, WG process provides benefit for wide review, I am wondering what technical
content change we can make for this document?
I feel what we can do is cosmetic change. In addition what Directorate in each
area can do about it? Maybe genart review has no issues.

> Upon this work get published as RFC
> (https://www.rfc-editor.org/about/independent/), bisdocument can go through
> WG submission process, if my understanding is correct.

No document here has to wait for any other document to be published.

[Qin Wu] I thought pcapng will be progressed after pcap draft and is
replacement to pcap. Still we need to clarify the relation between two
documents.
I think JSON document evolvement (RFC4627,RFC7158,RFC8259) is the right process
for such kind of work. The cost is the time for iteration.
Grüße, Carsten