From: Jean Quilbeuf <jean.quilb...@huawei.com>
Sent: 22 April 2022 14:14

Thanks for the precision. I am wondering whether to add a grouping such as

  grouping natural-language-text {
    description
      "Represents text written in natural language. According to
       RFC 2277, such strings MUST be accompanied with a language-tag
       specifying the language of the text";
    leaf language-tag {
      type string;
      mandatory true;
      description
        "Tag representing the language of the text. The tag format is
         described in RFC 5646.";
    }
    leaf text {
      type string;
      mandatory true;
      description
        "The actual text, must be written in the language specified in
         language tag.";
     }
  }

According to YANG catalog there are less than 10 nodes who refer to RFC 5646,
so it does not seem like a common practice.
So I think I would leave the strings as they are now. Any suggestions?

Also, it seems like a generic problem that should be solved in the WG that
takes care of YANG.

<tp>

That would be the NETMOD WG where the subject comes up but does not get worked
on:-(

I agree that language tags are not common practice so I would be inclined not
to include them but it may be that our current IESG will take a firmer line, in
which case you are fore-warned.

Sometimes a protocol I-D, nothing to do with YANG, will reference Unicode as to
what can appear but as I said before, there is an awful lot of Unicode and it
is hard to know where to draw the line

Tom Petch
Best,
Jean