Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsawg-l2nm-18: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-l2nm/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, review of # Éric Vyncke, INT AD, review of
draft-ietf-opsawg-l2nm-18 CC @evyncke

Thank you for the work put into this document. It solves a common and important
issue while keeping backward compatibility.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education), and some nits.

Special thanks to Adrian Farrel for the shepherd's write-up including the WG
consensus and the intended status.

The use of IANA-maintained YANG modules looks attractive to me.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

## COMMENTS

### Set of L2VPN technologies

Just wondering how extensible this model is ? I.e., the L2 cross-connect of RFC
8986 is not included, any reason why ? How easy would it be to extend this
model to also include RFC 8986 ?

### Section 2
```
      The corresponding YANG module can be used by
      a service orchestrator to request a VPN service to a network
      controller or to expose the list of active L2VPN services.
```
Does this mean that state information (e.g., counters) are not included ?
Actually, sections 7.3 & 7.6.3 mention some status & OAM support so suggest
adding status & OAM to the above text.

### Section 6

While I understand that "ethernet" is used in a broad concept (i.e., also
covering Wi-Fi), I find the use of 'ethernet' a little restrictive as layer-2
VPN could exist in a near future with technologies that are not IEEE 802.3
based (e.g., some IoT networks or the good old frame relay). Alas, probably too
late to change anything.

### Section 7.4

```
  'svc-mtu':  Is the service MTU for an L2VPN service (i.e., Layer 2
      MTU including L2 frame header/tail).  It is also known as the
      maximum transmission unit or maximum frame size.
```
Does it include CRC and/or preamble ? It would be nice also to mention the unit
of this metric.

Same question in the 'mtu' in section 7.6.4.

### Section 8.4

Missing "units" in "svc-mtu'.

Is 300 msec a valid default aging timer for a MAC address ? This seems really
short.

### Sections A.2 & A.3

Thanks for providing an IPv6 example ;-)

## NITS

### MAC is uppercase

I noticed at least one occurence of 'mac' in lower case.

## Notes

This review is in the ["IETF Comments" Markdown format][ICMF], You can use the
[`ietf-comments` tool][ICT] to automatically convert this review into
individual GitHub issues.

[ICMF]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments/blob/main/format.md
[ICT]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments