Dear OPSAWG

Following is an outline of the Client/Server interaction promised earlier, to
support SSH authentication with TACACS+…

The key decision for the solution is: where should the SSH authentication
proceed. The authors believe that it makes sense to continue to exploit the
scale of crypto processing at the TACACS+ client level, rather than shifting
this up to the TACACS+ server. Note that this model contrasts with the approach
to proxy the SSH authentication up to the server, which the authors believe
would not scale so well, but also encounters the fact that the authentication
does not have extensible arguments that would be needed to fully communicate
the required context to determine which keys should be selected.
Therefore, the solution that will be presented has the following model:
-          The SSH client and the TACACS+ client (acting here as the SSH
server) continue with the SSH processing roles they have now.
-          The TACACS+ authentication is extended to allow the TACACS+ client
to request the public keys from the TACACS+ server, to ease ssh-key management
-          The TACACS+ authentication is extended to communicate the results of
the TACACS+ client authentication processing to the TACACS+ Server, for the
TACACS+ Server to log centrally and grant the final result for the TACACS+
client to enact.
All other aspects will continue to use the TACACS+ protocol for processing of
SSH requests as they do now.
This approach will utilise the data field paradigm discussed earlier in the
thread. We will follow with a document that describes the complete solution in
detail.