Hi,

we just posted an updated revision of "Green Networking Metrics" (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cx-green-metrics/), including various editorial improvements and incorporating highly useful feedback and suggestions from a number of people including Eve Schooler, Alexandru Petrescu, and Michael Welzl.  The draft defines a set of "green" networking metrics that will be useful as basis for management and control applications that aim to reduce carbon footprint and hence require visibility into such metrics.

We believe that in terms of scope, this draft falls into the intersection of opsawg and nmrg interest and we hope to have the opportunity to present at IETF 116 in Yokohama, hence we are crossposting to both groups.  Personally I believe that opsawg may be the most suitable landing spot as the draft can be easily operationalized and is not as much concerned with open-ended research questions, but that is of course where we would appreciate feedback from the groups.  Once a decision is made for the proper landing spot, hopefully immediately following IETF 116, we will post a new revision under the respective working group.

FYI, here is the abstract of the draft:
This document explains the need for network instrumentation that allows to assess the power consumption, energy efficiency, and carbon footprint associated with a network, its equipment, and the services that are provided over it.  It also suggests a set of related metrics that, when provided visibility into, can help to optimize a network's energy efficiency and "greenness".

On behalf of the coauthors
--- Alex