Hi,

I don't think that John's example is quite the same.  The IPv6 packet header
format only has a space for a single source address and it is 16 bytes long.
Two source addresses or a 20-byte address is clearly an invalid IPv6 packet
because it doesn't match the IPv6 packet format.

But I don't think that this is quite true for IPv6 extension headers, where the
text states:

   Each extension header should occur at most once, except for the
   Destination Options header, which should occur at most twice (once
   before a Routing header and once before the upper-layer header).

But it also states in the same section:

   IPv6 nodes must accept and attempt to process extension headers in

   any order and occurring any number of times in the same packet,

   except for the Hop-by-Hop Options header, which is restricted to

   appear immediately after an IPv6 header only.  Nonetheless, it is

   strongly advised that sources of IPv6 packets adhere to the above

   recommended order until and unless subsequent specifications revise

   that recommendation.

This second paragraph, which is just as normative as the first, seems to
clearly indicate that IPv6 nodes are expected to handle and process extension
headers occurring multiple times, implying that they could occur.

Hence, I suspect that it is this second paragraph as to why Thomas was trying
to define how IPFIX works if this scenario is encountered in the wild.  E.g.,
operationally, it is better to report what you actually see rather report what
the operator/client ideally wants to believe is in the packet.  I.e., if your
IPv6 node does receive a packet with two SRv6 headers (which I still believe
RFC 8200 allows for), and modulo Jim's argument that this is invalid, then I
would still argue that it is more helpful to report that they are both there
than just reporting the first one and ignoring the second.  YANG NMDA, RFC 8342
is designed similarly.  Even if a YANG list states that it can only contain 2
elements, but due to some (presumably buggy) reason, the device actually has 3,
it is better to report all three than just pretend that there are only 2
elements, because it helps the operator debug that something is going wrong
(section 5.3).

I would argue that Jim's argument that another SRv6 related RFC (I don't know
which one) clearly indicates that a v6 header can only ever contain a single
SRH header holds a little more sway and is perhaps more relevant.

Having said all that, I think that point is somewhat moot because I think that
the authors have agreed to remove this paragraph anyway - even if IMO it
possibly makes the spec a bit less robust/helpful.

Regards,
Rob