On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 at 18:05, <mohamed.boucad...@orange.com> wrote:

> Thank you for catching this.
>

> What is actually interesting is that we are discussing a PR to make the
> change in the other way around:
> https://github.com/boucadair/policy-based-network-acl/pull/20/files.

The PR documents the length of group-id as "1..64". Looking at 'string'
type definition for Radius, RFC 8044 requires this length restriction to be
a part of the new attribute definition:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8044#section-3.5

I took a quick look at YANG definitions, and YANG's 'string' definitions
talks about Unicode.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7950#section-9.4

Because the Unicode code points need to be somehow encoded when sent over
the network,  the draft likely needs a definition of how to encode YANG
'string' type group-id so that it can be sent with a Radius attribute. In
this case the Radius attribute payload length could be more than 64.

In other words, the draft should likely define how to encode YANG 'string'
type group-id to a presentation suitable for Radius transport. I think
doing this clarifies, for example, what's the Radius attribute length
restriction. It would also make it clear on how to encode/decode a group-id
value for transporting it over the new Radius attribute.

Radius also has type 'text' for carrying UTF-8 encoded strings.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8044#section-3.4
This might be helpful too.

--
Heikki Vatiainen