Diego,

Thanks for the presentation of the yang-provenance work today. I read through
the document now after your presentation. I find it quite interesting, and have
a couple of questions and comments.

First of all, I would have expected this sort of "meta" information to be
mapped to attributes in XML or JSON (as described by existing RFCs). For CBOR I
have to admit I don't know what is said about attributes. But I guess mapping
this to (config false) leafs that are tactically augmented in by server
implementors should work too, and may even have some benefits.

Rather than specifying a typedef, I would suggest that you create a grouping
(with a single leaf). This has the added benefit that you can ensure the name
of the leaf is the same every time (which reinforces the idea that only one
such leaf is possible on every level in the tree) and that nobody will miss
modeling this leaf as config false, even if it appeared in a config true
context.

You have some examples that place the platform-provenance leaf first in lists.
I would strongly recommend against this, even in examples, since (in XML) the
list keys MUST go first in the instance data. A rather common server
implementor beginner's mistake is to forget this, and I don't think we'd want
to muddle the waters more with examples of this kind. I'd suggest placing the
platform-provenance leaf after the list key(s), or maybe last.

How would a validating client know which leafs are provenance-signatures?
Should it go by leaf name (trying to validate any container/list that has a
leaf called "provenance-signature" in any namespace? Should it examine the leaf
type? Marking by YANG extension...?

In section 4, the need for canonicalization is mentioned, and algorithm
described. The algo for XML is really only about reordering and sometimes
moving or excluding XML attributes. I'm not saying canonicalization isn't
needed, but I don't see exactly what purpose you have in mind for doing this
is. If all we are after is to verify that a particular string (XML, JSON or
whatever) has not been tampered with, I guess canonicalization would not really
be needed? If it indeed is needed, is the light algorithm referenced enough to
achieve your intended purpose? I mean, the payload is not canonicalized when it
comes to whitespace, ordering of elements and many other aspects. Will your
purpose still be fulfilled?

Best Regards,
/jan