Hi John,

On 11/13/2023 3:27 PM, Evans, John wrote:
Thanks Beniot for your feedback.

Are you suggesting to update the IPFIX forwarding status codes to reflect the
discard classes in draft-opsawg-evans-discardmodel?
Yes, I believe it would be the right way forward.

I completely agree that finding the drop/discard (from your draft "The terms 'packet drop' and 'discard' are considered equivalent and are used interchangeably.") is key for operators.
Once you know this, you will need the specific interface on the device.
Next, once you will want to know more about this traffic type, you will need either the destination IP address/prefix, IPv4/IPv6, the next hop, IPv6 extension header, QoS info, ingress or egress, ... whatever needed information to track down the flows in question. And this information would typically be available with IPFIX. Note that RFC 6728 (Configuration Data Model for the IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) and Packet Sampling (PSAMP) Protocols) was exactly with exactly that use case in mind: create specific IPFIX cache, with specific key fields, for a very short period of time, for troubleshooting purpose. Granted IPFIX is typically layer 3, even if there are layer 2 and MPLS implementations out there.

That being said, I'm not trying to say that IPFIX is the only solution for your draft. There is some value in trying to harmonize the reporting with your information model (*) classification scheme in section 3.

(*) I like the fact you use the right term: information model. This information model might collect information from different data model sources. And one of them might be IPFIX.

Regards, Benoit

On 06/11/2023, 13:03, "Benoit Claise" <benoit.cla...@huawei.com