Hi Deb,

Thanks for the review. Please see inline

On Sun, 4 Aug 2024 at 00:27, Deb Cooley via Datatracker <nore...@ietf.org>
wrote:

> Deb Cooley has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-tls-15: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)
>

> Please refer to
> https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/
> for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-tls/

> COMMENT:
>
> Thank you to Linda Dunbar for the secdir review of this draft.
>
> General comment:  Personally, I think this draft needs a rewrite to
> tighten and
> clarify the language used.  I was 'this close' to filing a discuss.
>
> Specific comments:
>
> Abstract:  I thought originally that this was a profile of (D)TLS, but it
> is
> not.  At best, I'd call this a framework to allow a manufacturer to create
> profile.  Replacing 'incorporate' with 'allow manufacturers to define'
> might
> make it more clear.

Thanks, updated text.

> Section 1, para 2:  I share Roman's concern about the age of the
> reference, and
> the claims made by that reference a full 8 years later.

Yes, I responded to Roman that we will generalize the description of TTPs
and focus on the broader observation that (D)TLS protocol parameters can be
leveraged to block malicious and security policy-violating traffic.

> Section 1, para 2, bullet 3:  I'm not sure what 'self-signed certificates
> compared with typical legitimate software' means.  As written it seems
> like an
> 'apples to oranges' comparison?  Maybe the authors mean that they see more
> self-signed certificates compared with CA certificates that the IOT device
> trusts'?

No, we meant self-signed certificates are typically used by malware (for
instance see,
https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/research/21/i/analyzing-ssl-tls-certificates-used-by-malware.html)
compared to legitimate software using PKIX certificates.

> Section 1, para 3:  Replace the first phrase of the first sentence with:
> 'If
> (D)TLS profile parameters are selected, the following...'?  It needs to be
> clear that this RFC is establishing a way for a profile to be defined for
> both
> DTLS and TLS.

Yes, replaced with 'If (D)TLS profile parameters are defined, the
following...'

> Section 1, para 3, bullet 1:  Please define ACL.  And if it is 'access
> control
> list', please explain what that means in this context.  [later in the
> draft it
> is use in a way that I'm not used to - i.e. not as a way to control
> access....]

Fixed.

> Section 3:  In general, a malware developer just needs a key and
> certificate
> signed by any of the IOT device's trusted certificate authorities (CAs).
> How
> hard that is depends on how many CAs the IOT device trusts.

Unlike the developers of legitimate applications, malware authors are under
additional constraints such as avoiding any noticeable differences on the
infected devices and the potential for take-down requests impacting their
server infrastructure (e.g., CA revoking the certificate).

> Section 4:  If these fields of the handshake are in the clear, then it is
> possible that the malware developer can see them just as easily as the
> middlebox.  It is always good practice for a server to reject connection
> attempts that don't follow the installed configuration.  I'm not sure what
> the
> value is of a middlebox that is not a (D)TLS proxy in this case.

It is possible to identify malware without having to act as a proxy, the
results with Google Home and several malware families were presented in
T2TRG, please see
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2020-t2trg-01/materials/slides-interim-2020-t2trg-01-sessa-
mud-dtls-profiles-for-iot-devices-00.pdf for details.

> Section 5:  The YANG modules establish the framework for a manufacturer to
> design and deploy a (D)TLS profile.  The YANG module itself makes no
> selections.  It is just a laundry list of options that can be chosen.

It provides a comprehensive and flexible framework for manufacturers to
define (D)TLS profiles. For instance, see the white paper (Traffic Analytics
<https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/enterprise-network-security/nb-09-encrytd-traf-anlytcs-wp-cte-en.html>)
on
encrypted traffic analytics, which lists various TLS parameters used to
identify malware.

> Section 8, para 2:  These are statements made by the authors, is there a
> reference or evidence to back up that claim?

Yes, please see my above response and TLS profile parameters are already
leveraged by network security vendors to identify malware (for example, see
https://secure.cisco.com/secure-firewall/docs/encrypted-visibility-engine).

Cheers,
-Tiru