fwd'ing, since there was a typo in the original email...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [v6ops] [OPSEC] WGLC for draft-ietf-opsec-v6
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 12:10:37 +0100
From: Fernando Gont <fg...@si6networks.com>
To: otr...@employees.org, op...@ietf.ortg
CC: Gunter Van De Velde <guntervandeveld...@icloud.com>, v6...@ietf.org
Operations <v6...@ietf.org>, 6...@ietf.org

On 04/18/2017 09:18 AM, otr...@employees.org wrote:
> A few initial comments. Draft is not quite ready.
>
> Section 2.1.3:
>   6164 does not _recommend_ /127 it _permits_ /127 on p2p links.

Agreed on this.

>   The ping pong attack is mitigated in RFC4443.

I must be missing something.. what does RFC4443 have to do with this? A
ping pong attack does not require the attack packets to be ICMPv6 echo
requests...

>   I am not convinced there is justification that this document should
> recommend /127 for "security reasons".

Besides ping-pong, there's NCE. While I do agree that the real solution
to the above two issues is *not* to use a /127, this document being an
operational one, I can see why the authors may want to recommend /127.

> Section 2.2:
>   I am not sure that extension headers are one of the most critical
> differentiators between IPv4 and IPv6. IPv4 had variable length options...

The packet structure does make a big difference. For instance, it's
trivial to find (in IPv4-based packets) the upper layer protocol type
and protocol header, while in IPv6 it actually isn't.

> Section 2.3.2:
>   Consider Secure DHCPv6?

Question: is that doable? (i.e., widely supported)

> Section 3.1:
>   In general update references. e.g. ipv6-eh-filtering is outdated.
>   I question referencing opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering. It has wrong and outdated
> advice. E.g. on section of HBH header.
>   The advice in ipv6-eh-filtering is essentially to ossify the network.

Have you read the I-D? Because the I-D boils down to: "pass all EHs
unless they are known to be very harmdful".

Thanks!

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont