From: Eric Vyncke (evyncke) <evyn...@cisco.com>
Sent: 28 March 2023 14:01
To: Andrew S2 <andrew...@ncsc.gov.uk>; Justin Iurman <justin.iur...@uliege.be>;
opsec WG <opsec@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-opsec-probe-attribut...@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OPSEC] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsec-probe-attribution-01.txt

Hello Andy,

Sorry for belated reply... and thank you for your detailed review.

Based on our own experiences, the authors would like to keep the in-band probe
attribution in the text. It of course lacks several properties of the
out-of-band attribution, and it also can bias the experiment results, but
in-band has the following advantages:
- can be used in RIPE Atlas (or similar probes) where the actual source is
*not* the researcher
- can be used behind an (ugly) NAT device

And, I have seen the case where the probe packet had lost its IP header when it
was observed...

I.e., in-band attribution is not perfect, but it is still useful.

See below for EV> for additional replies.

Regards

-éric & -justin

On 14/03/2023, 18:55, "Andrew S2" <andrew...@ncsc.gov.uk