On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 09:11:36AM -0600, Scott Bennett wrote:
>      However, a while later and completely unnecessarily, tor did this:
>
> Nov 21 07:56:52.311 [notice] Your IP address seems to have changed. Updating.
> Nov 21 07:56:53.403 [notice] Self-testing indicates your ORPort is reachable
> from the outside. Excellent. Publishing server descriptor.
> Nov 21 07:57:55.025 [notice] Your IP address seems to have changed. Updating.
> Nov 21 07:57:59.599 [notice] Self-testing indicates your ORPort is reachable
> from the outside. Excellent. Publishing server descriptor.
> Nov 21 07:58:02.279 [notice] Self-testing indicates your DirPort is reachable
> from the outside. Excellent.

Interesting. Looks like it changed, then changed back. I just made
the "seems to have changed" log entry more informative:
http://archives.seul.org/or/cvs/Nov-2007/msg00246.html

> Nov 21 07:58:16.929 [notice] Have tried resolving or connecting to address
> '[scrubbed]' at 3 different places. Giving up.
> Nov 21 07:58:16.965 [warn] We just marked ourself as down. Are your external
> addresses reachable?

And these two are from the dirport reachability test launched at
07:56:52.

>      Meanwhile, the connection was good the whole time, tor traffic was being
> relayed, and the IP address remained unchanged since the previously noted
> event.  In the slightly more than an hour that has passed since the weirdness
> occurred between 07:56 and 07:59, tor has continued to run, answering
> directory
> requests and passing traffic.

Right. That's because Tor clients were using the IP address advertised
in the descriptor you published before this hiccup.

>      So it looks like there is a bug involved here, and it apparently does
> not depend upon starting up with no cached-descriptors* files.

Right, there's no reason to think it has to do with your cached files.
Tor doesn't look at your old cached descriptors to decide your current
IP address -- that would just be too fragile.

>  Does anyone
> working on tor development recognize these symptoms?  Or is this something
> new?

My first thought is that in fact your "thruhere.net" address resolved
to the old IP address briefly. This might happen because thruhere.net
has a big pile of dns servers, if one of them had an old answer cached
for a little while.

How repeatable is this? If you could get an info-level log, that would
give some more hints. (A debug-level log would provide even more hints,
but it would be really loud, so let's first see if info is enough.)

Thanks!
--Roger