This isn't just a Tor error. I live in a country where I was told the National
ISP has just 768 IP addresses for several million subscribers, so we are all on
various LANs or MANs sharing the IP addresses. Anti-virus software is rare
here, but trying to surf banned websites (or subscribing to dodgy mailing
lists) is common, with the result that many of the computers sharing my IP
address are, in fact infected.

Sometimes I get the Google capcha, sometimes I get the message below, and
sometimes switching to Tor allows me to reach Google when a direct connection
is blocked.

With Tor, at least one can try switching to a different exit node, which
sometimes works. With our ISP, I can switch to a different LAN address by
disconnecting and re-connecting, but my external address generally remains the
same, and therefore remains blocked.