nnnnnnnnn...@safe-mail.net wrote:
> With mounting security problems I'm finally saying, "Firefox and Tor? Forget
> about it!!"
>
> http://secunia.com/advisories/37699/
>
> I want something less bloated like Dillo:
>
> http://www.dillo.org.
>
> I haven't tried the old & outdated distro called ELE:
>
> http://northernsecurity.net/download/ele/
>
> "What is ELE?
> ELE is a bootable Live CD Linux distribution with focus on privacy related
> software. It is based on Damn Small Linux and aims to be (obviously) as small
> as possible. The first release was 65M, the current one 61M.
>
> What does it include?
> Irssi, Gaim, Dillo, Firefox, SSH, VNCviewer, Xpdf, most of the standard Linux
> apps like wget and vi. It uses the Fluxbox window manager. Everything, except
> VNCviewer at the moment, passes thrugh Tor. When using Dillo or Firefox
> scrubbing is done by Privoxy and the Google search engine has been replaced
> by Scroogle."
>
> but it sounds sweet. I've decided to go in this direction, using Dillo and
> Privoxy on a personally rolled together Linux LiveCD or USB. I'll try basing
> it off of Damn Small Linux
>
> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org
>
> first to see how well it works.
>
> When using Firefox and Torbutton* along with Noscript* and Privoxy* (or other
> extensions), It feels like I'm riding on an elephant or whale of a creature
> who is open to anything with its seedy downtown brothel breath fogging up my
> glasses. Firefox doesn't feel safe to use anymore, especially in a tor
> environment where hostile injections are a growing concern. (* No offense to
> Torbutton, Noscript and Privoxy developers you make fine software and I'll
> continue to use Privoxy with another browser, but how many more combinations
> will we continue to need to plug Firefox's issues with tor usage and how many
> soft spots could be considered possible or future vectors in each piece we
> plaster on top?)
>
> Please tell me what you think of all of this and whether or not this is a
> proper direction to go on or if Dillo's audience is limited and doesn't
> receive enough testing to warrant switching to Dillo.

You may want to look at the Chromium Browser VM.  It's beta, but
functional and supports Tor.
It's also 3x faster (inside a VM) than Firefox running natively on the
host OS.

http://www.janusvm.com/chromium_vm/index.html

"
WHAT IS Chromium Browser VM?

The Chromium Browser VM is what the name says, the Chromium web browser
<http://dev.chromium.org/> running inside a virtual machine
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Machine>. The primary difference
from other VMs is that the browser window is being exported back to the
host OS using the X Window System <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11> (or
X11) protocol. By running Chromium inside a VM, we are protected from
unknown malicious exploits, vulnerabilities, and side channel attacks
<http://www.deanonymizer.com> that could compromise our security,
privacy, and anonymity. By exporting the browser window back to the host
OS, we get a look and feel as though it's just another application on
our system, even though it's running from inside the VM. This creates a
secure environment in which we can now run Javascript, Flash, and Java
in a browser without having to worry about compromising the host OS if
we get exploited.
"

Side note, the ISO can also be burned to a CD-ROM and used as a boot CD.
It may or may not be what you're looking for, but I thought I would
throw it out there.