We have an installed product that intermittently will raise
an ora-6508 error (could not find program unit ...).  I have
done some investigating through metalink and had some contact
with Oracle support.

We have an pro*C executable calling a stored procedure (that
resides in a package) that does an insert into a table.  It's
and HP-UX environment running Oracle 7.3.4.  The error seems
to occur during heavy system load: when a batch task that does
some intense database access is running at the same time the
as the task that gets the error.  The system having the trouble
is at a customer site, so hands-on investigating is difficult.

The error points to an invalid object (package or stored
procedure in this case), but I am quite sure that the package,
procedure, and table are valid since:
  - The problem is intermittant.
  - There are other procedures in the package and they appear
    to work just fine.
  - The procedure in question does not depend on any other
    procedures. It is not complex, and merely inserts a row
    into a table (that does exist).
  - The package is created when the system is installed and
    never modified (code is never changed or recompiled).

My questions are ...
  Could there be a resource problem?  If the package cannot be
  loaded into the shared pool could this possibly be the result?
  I would have expected also getting an ora-4031 (out of shared
  memory) error, but I have read that the error does not always
  appear.

  Should packages be limited in size?  It seems like a package can
  be "too big", and that this would impact performance if the
  shared pool gets fragmented.  Does anyone have a rule of thumb
  as to when to break up a very large package into smaller units?

  Any ideas on what we can set in init.ora to get a better handle
  on what's happening?  For example, the best way to set up a trace.

Just wondering if anyone on the list had a similar experience.  I'm
in digest mode, so directly email me any ideas.

John Armani
ABB Industrial Systems, Inc
Author: John Armani