Kimberly,

    There is a book on C language programming style written by Kerrigan & Richie
(the FATHERS of the language) that I really love.  Consequently it's at home
where it can't grow legs.  Otherwise I simply use the Pro*C manual from Oracle
and follow the standard that all "EXEC SQL" statements are in uppercase, except
for host variables.  Which is the way Oracle teaches it.  I've even had some of
my code reviewed by other managers & directors here who have made my ideas the
standards.  Pretty simple actually, ask the developers to critique each others
code.  The desired results will fall out.

Dick Goulet

PS: Here's an example;

int deltext(void)
{  char efile[100];
   int y = 0;
   EXEC SQL DECLARE TEXTDEL CURSOR FOR
             SELECT PREFIX||TO_CHAR(TO_DATE(:loaddate,'fmDDMONYY'),FORMAT)
                          ||SUFFIX||'.'||EXTENSION
             FROM TEXT_LOAD_FORMATS
             WHERE ID = :testerid
             ORDER BY DECODE(TABLE_TYPE,'HEADER',0,'DATA',1);
   if(oracle_error("Declare textload cursor")) return(1);
   EXEC SQL OPEN TEXTDEL;
   if(oracle_error("Open Text Load")) return(1);
   do
   {  EXEC SQL FETCH TEXTDEL INTO :fname;
      if(oracle_error("Fetch text load")|| sqlca.sqlcode > 0) break;
      NULLTERM(fname);
      sprintf(efile,"%s\\%s\0", testerpath.arr, fname.arr);
      y = remove(efile);
      if(y!= 0) break;
   }while(sqlca.sqlcode == 0);
   EXEC SQL CLOSE TEXTDEL;
   return(y);
}

Author: Kimberly Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:       2/6/2001 8:20 AM

Just wondering what people are using for a Pro*C reference?
I am seeing some pretty bad code here in that area (mostly
by a developer who likes to hack and no longer works here but
its what people are using for guidelines) and would like to have
a reference around that the developers can use.  I used to have
a copy of the Oracle Press one and it was not to bad.  Actually,
the manual is not to bad but they don't seem to want to use
it.

Kimberly Smith
EDS
Fujitsu/GMD