-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 7:26 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

How are you all creating reporting databases?  We currently have an OLTP
database and we wish to create a reporting database from it.  As I see it,
we have the following options:

1.  Create the reporting database as a Standby database.  I don't think that
this will work since the database must be up and not in standby mode.
2.  Use Oracle replication.  I have heard it is cumbersome and has trouble
keeping up with lots of transactions.
3.  Snapshots/materialized views.
4.  Beef up our current machine so that it can handle OLTP transactions and
reports.
5.  Since we are using a BMC disk array, we could break the mirror
periodically and mount the disks on a new machine.
6.  Other 3rd party replication products.
7.  We could probably use some type of import/exports.

How are the rest of you doing it?  Are there any other options that I
forgot?

Thanks,
Tom

Author: Terrian, Thomas