The reason the minus is so much faster is because it does a hash join.  Try
adding a /*+ hash_aj */ hint to the "not in" and you should get better
response.  Also, there is no need to put a distinct in the second select of
the minus or the sub select of the "not in".  Minus will do a sort distinct
anyway.  Here is the new sql.

select distinct icons
   from inpatient
 where icons not in (select /*+ hash_aj */ icons from ptca)
/

Author: Elliott, Patrick