Mark,

Appology accepted  ;-)

Some people flame me because they did not read my post
carefully. I said that for optimal performance the
number of extents with an 8K blocksize was 505. People
thought that was a maximum.

2147483645 is a theoritical limit. It's like the
maximum Oracle database size : 512 Petabytes .

If everything was simple , they're would be less job
for the dba.

By putting a so large limit, you are sure that the
system won't stopped. I'd rather have 2001 extents and
not having the users complaining that the system
stopped.

--- Mark Leith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit : > Hi
List,

> I have been reading through the 8i Tuning &
> Performance Guide, and
> remembered a topic on the list a few weeks back
> discussing the maximum
> number of extents for a LMT.
>
> In the Tuning I/O section of this guide there is a
> reference to this
> stating:
>
> ---snip---
> Evaluating Unlimited Extents
>
> Even though an object may have unlimited extents,
> this does not mean that
> having
> a large number of small extents is acceptable. For
> optimal performance you
> may
> decide to reduce the number of extents.
>
> Extent maps list all extents for a particular
> segment. The number of extents
> entries
> per Oracle block depends on operating system block
> size and platform.
> Although
> an extent is a data structure inside Oracle, the
> size of this data structure
> depends on
> the platform. Accordingly, this affects the number
> of extents Oracle can
> store in a
> single operating system block. Typically, this value
> is as follows:
>
> Block Size (KB)         Maximum Number of Extents
> 2                       121
> 4                       255
> 8                       504
> 16                      1032
> 32                      2070
>

> For optimal performance, you should be able to read
> the extent map with a
> single
> I/O. Performance degrades if multiple I/Os are
> necessary for a full table
> scan to get
> the extent map.
>
> Avoid dynamic extension in dictionary-mapped
> tablespaces. For
> dictionary-mapped tablespaces, do not let the number
> of extents exceed
> 1,000. If extent allocation is local, then do not
> have more than 2,000
> extents. Having too many extents reduces performance
> when dropping or
> truncating tables.
> ---snip---
>
> Now, I also remember somebody stating that
> MAXEXTENTS should be set to 504
> for an 8K block size, and he was flamed.. I also
> added to this, and now
> appologise..
>
> Now, the question arises :
>
> I created an LMT with the default storage
> parameters, and Oracle in its
> infinite wisdom, gave a MAXEXTENTS value of
> 2147483645!!
>
> A few more than 2000, was Larry thinking of his bank
> balance when he decided
> on this? :)
>
> You know, it's so great that they put these little
> "pearls" of wisdom in to
> tuning guides, that you have to dig in to, just to
> find a ghost of an
> [...]

=====
Stephane Paquette
DBA Oracle