It's time to look into the tablespace and see if it is real fragmented!

Winnie

"Richard Ji" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@fatcity.com on 02/16/2001 10:01:17 AM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc:

Hi all,

I am experiencing a problem and am in need of your opnions.

I have a table which has two columns, one is a NUMBER, one is a LONG RAW.
The LONG RAW column is used to store
a Java Serialized Object of a size about 5k to 12k.  We get about 15000
rows
per day.  Each night the old rows are purged
to make room for the new ones.  This worked fine for over 6 months, except
once the table failed to extend because
the purge job was broken and we didn't have enough space.

But about a week ago, I am starting to see ORA-1653: unable to extent table
message appear in alert log randomly.  The
purge job is running fine and did free up space.  Only around 20 out of
15000 caused the error message.  At first I suspect those
failed ones must be trying to put in something BIG.  But after the
developer
debugged it, he told me the size of the binary
is only between 6-8k of the failed ones which is no larger than the others.
So now I am really puzzled.  I have one
transaction that's trying to stick an 8k LONG ROW into the table and it
failed with ORA-1653 and the next whole bunch
of transactions going into the table successfully with the same size or
even
bigger.  And there is no delete happened between
those transactions.  Nothing is deleted from the database except the
nightly
purge job which only deletes from that table.

I suspect there is something that the developer didn't find out, but I want
to rule out the possibility that it's the database
that's causing the problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, comments, even if it's a shot in the
dark.

Richard Ji

Author: Richard Ji