Hi,

We're using Informatica Powermart 4.6.1 on Oracle
8.1.6/solaris 5.7.

Our sources are Sybase and Sql Server databases (yes,
unix is a MS client via ODBC unix). I'm the Oracle
pioneer.

The prod server is a 4500 with 4G ram and 4 cpus, the
dev/test server is a 450 with 2G ram and 2 cpus.

>From a DBA standpoint, do not give this tool to
beginners, hire an expert to help your staff.
Here, everything is done with the tool so it's not
flexible. If we want to move something in production ,
we must move everything in production, not just a
single transformation but everything : no good.

Another thing : slowly changing dimensions. The
developpers did not create tables to contain the
metadata to manage type 2 slowly changing dimensions.
So the DW administrator can not manage the DW loading
himself, he must ask the developpers to change the
code then put the code in the production environment :
not flexible at all.

Another examples, the developpers are commiting at
each 10000 rows instead of by logical transactions, so
when the load crashes guess who has to bring back a
backup of the db. There is a parameter to manage our
many sessions are launched to do the loading, it's
nice to know that number before the load starts...

It's not because you have a nice tool that the
developpers should not know SQl and PL/SQL.

HTH

--- "Seley, Linda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit :
> I've been asked to give a hardware recommendation
> for Solaris running
> Informatica in development/test and production.  The
> products we will be
> looking at are PowerMart, PowerPlugs, and possibly
> the eProcurement
> application.  I've heard that it is a javalina (a
> javalina being a peccary,
> a pig-like animal.  'I am not a pig' ;-) ).  For
> those of you running
> Informatica, what kind of Sun machines do you have?
> # of CPUs, amount of
> RAM, disk, etc.?  What are the sizes of your
> databases, source and target?
> What are your experiences with the products from a
> DBA standpoint?
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> Linda
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: Seley, Linda
>   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

=====
Stephane Paquette