-----Original Message-----
From: Weaver, Walt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 6:09 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Thanks for the input, Ross.

As far as data corruption goes, it's neither semantic nor physical (well, there can be some semantic corruption in certain circumstances, but they're being worked on. We call them "bugs" here.)   :>)

Our developers seem to have inadvertantly gotten a grasp on the concept of an atomic transaction, and have coded many, many of them. As you know, MySQL does not do referential integrity, so all of our referential integrity is done at the application level. What appears to be happening is that during periods of heavy load the MySQL daemon occasionally gets confused in the midst of an "atomic" transaction and parts of the transaction are committed to the database while parts aren't. In fact, during periods of heavy load the MySQL daemon just gives up the ghost and dies. This is what we believe causes the data corruption.

BTW, there's no concept of a rollback in MySQL, either. That can be a problem when a transaction doesn't complete.   :>)

Could we really be seeing semantic or physical corruption and not realizing it? Well, maybe. But, we've moved our biggest, most active customers from MySQL to Oracle and their data corruption problems disappear.

MySQL definitely has its place in the world, and it had a place in ours back before we had customers beating on our databases. But, we're growing up now, and like all grown-up guys we're looking for bigger, more expensive toys. Oracle certainly fits that bill.   :>)

--Walt Weaver
  Bozeman, Montana, USA