From: Mohan, Ross [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 1:51 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: For You Slick Developers out there.....

I get a version-specific glitch ( works in 816, fails in 805 )
for a call to the DBMS_UTILITY.GET_TIME built-in:

######################
SQL> select dbms_utility.get_time from dual;
select dbms_utility.get_time from dual
       *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-06571: Function GET_TIME does not guarantee not to update database

Any ideas why 80520 doesn't like this?

TIA,

- Ross

p.s.  a simple assignment, like, for example  time := DBMS_UTILITY.GET_TIME;

fails as well.

p.p.s  I know how to use V$TIMER, so i am looking for a "why this doesn't work"

  not a "How to fix it by using V$TIMER"  answer.