I would not decide whether a block is corrupted or not, just using dbv
utility. dbv reports corruption, even when analyze, exp and FTS goes
through fine without any problem. dbv reported a data dictionary corruption
in our case. We ran analyze, exp and FTS, no problem. But still dbv was
reporting corruption even after the database was down.

Further the database has to be down or the tablespace has to be offline
normal for dbv to work somewhat correctly (?)

Thanks
Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
Certified Oracle DBA
i2 technologies   www.i2.com

                    Winnie_Liu@in

                    fonet.com            To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    Sent by:             cc:

                    root@fatcity.        Subject:     DBMS_REPAIR package usage

                    com

                    03/22/01

                    04:22 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

To all,

I have a datafile in my production box (a user data tablespace), when I run
dbv against it, it showed that 5 blocks are "influxed"

Page 458784 is influx - most likely media corrupt
***
Corrupt block relative dba: 0x24070020 file=0. blocknum=458784.
Fractured block found during dbv:
Data in bad block - type:0. format:0. rdba:0x00000000
last change scn:0x0000.00000000 seq:0x0 flg:0x00
consistancy value in tail 0x0003c204
check value in block header: 0x0, check value not calculated
spare1:0x0, spare2:0x0, spare2:0x0

We can copy this file to tape, dd this file. On the OS disk level, the OS
does not treat this as corrupted. But it is corrupted on the oracle
(software) level.

I've checked and can't find any object associate with these 5 corrupted
blcok.

That means that there is no data inside those blocks.

Since the tablespace is about 12 GB on a highly active system (which only
got 3 hours maintance window each month), export/import (then drop the
tablespace)
which Oracle support suggested is mostly out of the question. (Especially,
it is very hard for me to convince the sysadmin that the blocks are
corrupted
as they don't see any I/O error associate with this file and the developers
don't see any problem with the application either!)

I am currently thinking about upgrading this database to 8.1.6 to make use
of the DBMS_REPAIR package to make those blocks as "unusable". But I
am not sure that if the DBMS_REPAIR package can run against the blocks
which do not belong to any objects!! Can someone  give me some
guidences?

thanks

Winnie