For single character replacement (or removal) use "tr". For string to string replacement use sed.

echo $var | tr "e" "o"

-or-

echo $var | sed "s/e/o/g" # (the '/g' means globally)

  Mandar Ghosalkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

check this question from korn faq at

http://www.kornshell.com/doc/faq.html

Q24. How do I do global substitutions on the contents of shell variables?
A24. Use // instead of / for global substitution, ${var//aa/bb} will
expand to the value of  with each "aa" replace by "bb".

so i tried

$ var=tester
$ echo $var
tester