Jeff,

We have a retail application (JDA) using Oracle 8.1.6 using the Standard
Edition.
It works fine with very few problems.

The application uses very limited database features.
No replication, partitioning, OPS, standby database, ...
Please see attached document from Oracle Technet for differences between
Oracle Enterprise Edition and
Oracle Standard Edition.

If you do not need the extra functionality like partitioning,  advanced
replication it may not be worth the extra effort of
spending money on the Enterprise Edition.

The cost of the Enterprise Edition compared to the Standard Edition is large
(2 x).

Most companies purchase the Enterprise Edition but do not even use 30% of
the features that come with it.
What a waste of $$$.

Please see attached .PDF to get more insight on technical differences
between the both editions.

HTH
Suhen

Due to Oracle's licensing shenanigans, we are looking at the use of the
Standard
edition to save $$$$.  In fact, our management may even make Standard the de
facto
standard while requiring justification for Enterprise.

If anyone is currently using Standard, or has experience with it, I would
appreciate if
can you tell me what I lose by moving to Standard.  I've perused the
features comparision
matrix, but I'd like to see some other feedback to ensure I'm not
overlooking anything.

Thanks,
Jeff T

Author: Suhen Pather