Hi, Rahul,
        Unfortunately, there is no v$view. v$log_history also isn't a good
candidate - v$log_history data are stored in the controlfile, and
controlfile loss would make database unrecoverable (we know, this is not the
case).

        My assumption is Oracle stores checkpoint SEQ# in the datafile
header, as well as SCN, and for recovery purposes Oracle checks every
datafile, takes minimum SEQ# and prompt us for this log.

      The following command is used to dump file headers

      alter session set events 'immediate trace name file_hdrs level 10';

        The following is a small piece of dump, note  thread:1
rba:(0xb6.6d.160) at the end - I strongly believe 0xb6 is SEQ# and thread:1
is thread number of redo log, required for recovery. Archived log SEQ# will
be this number minus one.

DATA FILE #10:
  (name #13) /u02/oradata/simplydb/simply.dbf
creation size=12800 block size=4096 status=0xe head=13 tail=13 dup=1
 tablespace 9, index=10 krfil=10 prev_file=0
 unrecoverable scn: 0x0000.00000000 11/21/2000 10:54:54
 Checkpoint cnt:1139 scn: 0x0000.00283091 03/29/2001 09:32:28
 Stop scn: 0xffff.ffffffff 03/22/2001 13:00:14
 Creation Checkpointed at scn:  0x0000.0001d187 11/16/2000 15:37:16
 thread:1 rba:(0xb6.6d.160)

        I'm not absolutely sure, this is correct, but looks like for me.

        Best regards,
        Vadim Gorbounov
        Oracle DBA