I was in grade 11 when the TRS-80 came out.  Our geography teacher had one
at home, but he brought it in.  In our electronics lab downstairs that
teacher spent hours and hours working on his Apple IIE with Heathkit
learning modules, which he later used to teach us Boolean logic and
rudimentary logic board manufacturing.  He was the best teacher we ever had,
including the anonymous, distant, uncaring university profs I went through
later.

We had a computer lab upstairs with twelve Commodore PETs, with ROM-based
operating system -- you didn't need to "boot" THOSE machines!  Far superior
to the disk-based nonsense we have now.  Meanwhile we were still submitting
FORTRAN punch cards which were shipped to the local university, there was a
week turnaround time for those.

The TRS-80 was a silvery-grey and dark grey thing with the screen part of
the computer, with a keyboard with black keys, if I remember correctly.

Grey and black text-only monitor.

Nice.

I think that was Radio Shack's heyday, when they made their own computers.
I never bought one, which could be indicative of why they gave this up in
the end...  I think they lost focus now, people don't do electronics much
anymore, too busy playing useless video games.  Too hypnotized.  Re.
electronics, anyone seen a Popular Electronics magazine in local stores
lately?  I haven't seen any in years.

They still haven't been able to improve on those ASCII graphics characters
for games, now they use all this 3D full-colour stuff that no one needs.
How disappointing.  I wish someone would write an emulation of the old Star
Trek Arcade game, still hasn't been done that I know of.

aah, those were the days.  When we were wondering whether to go with PC-DOS
or MS-DOS...
When Apple screens were about the size of a coaster...
When we were manually cutting the edge of our 5 1/4" floppy disk, to make
them 2-sided diskettes, to get that extra 160K or 320K of disk space...
When the programs that were written were understandable, not that
object-oriented modular bloated code...
When you could store a dozen programs on a single-density 5 1/4" diskette...
When assembly language programming could be used to write programs, not just
drivers...

I wax nostalgic now in my old age, I reached a new low of 35 years old last
week...

: )

Pat.

Author: Boivin, Patrice J