Sinardy,

what's your uptime requirement?
You're allowed a weekly cold shutdown for backup?
what I'm asking is - when you are copying the datafiles to tape, its
during a clean, cold shutdown, right?
Have you ever tested the recovery portion of your backup/recovery
scheme?

If your 'copying files to tape' is from an open database, you'd be in
for a real surprise when you attempt to restore the full set. You have
no other recovery options than the full set - its zero datafiles or all
of them.

If you create your batch loads so as to minimize the amount of redo,
archivelog might not seem like such a performance hit.
Give the system a dedicated channel and pair of drives (each) for both
online and archived redo logs, and don't worry about the performance
hit.

try it, you'll like it:

SVRMGR> startup mount pfile=<pfile_path>

SVRMGR> alter database archivelog;

SVRMGR> archive log start

SVRMGR> alter database open;

SVRMGR> alter database backup controlfile to trace;

SVRMGR> archive log list

Paul

Author: Paul Drake