Lerone,

(It appears you wanted to also reply to the list, but didn't get the
list address into your response, so I'm including your entire message
below in this reply to the list.  )

Glad you found the info useful.

I hope you are going to be able to get a box that can be upgraded
from 2 cpus to at least 4 (or that your SLA states that additional
scaling might require whole replacement with a 4way or 6way or 8way
box later).

We had a discussion of NT/Oracle defrag recently.

As you probably know, the "conventional wisdom" for NT SysAdmins is
to use one of the better defrag products, and frequently.

   http://www.ultratech-llc.com/Personal/Files/?File=Defragger.TXT

However, Oracle says that *IF* you do things "right", you should NOT
want-to/need-to/have-to defrag.

Something along the lines of: NTFS is such that when the Oracle db
files are pre-allocated, they are basically "pre-defragged", and
since they are maintained as large files, there are *no* conditions
under which they are going to fragment (at the OS level) after being
created.  All defragging should be internal to Oracle (imp/exp, or
whatever...)

Having repeatedly read the "conventional wisdom" about the need to
defrag NT constantly, I was initially amazed at Oracle's assertion,
but in subsequent discussion with Oracle tech support, as well as the
gurus in this list and the NT list, it turns out Oracle is right.

Of course for a non-db server (eg, a file server) that has a lot of
small files that change a lot, defragging is needed.

I noticed that you haven't mentioned backup issues. We are currently
struggling to decide between getting the Oracle modules from either
Legato or Veritas (hot backup), or just staying with NT4, and doing
manual/scripted cold backups only.

On another, semi-related topic, when I used to be subscribed to a
couple of Netware SysAdmin lists, I noticed that there was a pretty
high percentage of people subscribed with a *lot* of "old school"
type engineering and hardware Intel/Drive-config/Networking
expertise. You might consider subscribing to one of those and slip a
few hardware questions in. (archives:
http://lsv.syr.edu/archives/novell.html, that list's super-guru: Joe
Doupnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

Of course beware that SysAmins, especially Netwareistas & other
old timers, usually tend to hate dbas, and refer to Oracle as "the
beast". :)

regards,
ep

On 18 Apr 2001, at 10:04, Streeter, Lerone  A LBX <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

To:                     "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date sent:              Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:04:06 -0500

Author: Eric D. Pierce