Hello all,

I'm trying to do inserts with NOLOGGING. It works if I don't
specify insert columns OR if I have no where clause. If I have
EITHER insert column specification OR a where clause, Oracle
can't interpret the SQL.

HELP!!!! PLEASE!!

The following syntax works fine:

     -- 1. This has a where clause in the select, and no insert
     -- column specification. Nologging is up top.
     INSERT  into table1  -- defined as table1 (a varchar2 (5))
     NOLOGGING
     SELECT  dummy
     FROM    dual
     WHERE   dummy = 'X';

(Don't know if it actually skips logs, but I imagine it does.
But at least it inserts.)

Following statement also works:

     -- 2. This has column specifications but no where clause.
     -- Nologging is moved to the end of the statement.
     INSERT  into table1 (a)
     SELECT  dummy
     FROM    dual
     NOLOGGING;

The following, however, I can't get to work.

     -- 3. This HAS a where clause AND column specification,
     -- with Nologging at the end of the statement.
     INSERT  into table1 (a)
     SELECT  dummy
     FROM    dual
     WHERE   dummy = 'X'
     NOLOGGING;
SQL> /
NOLOGGING
*
ERROR at line 5:
ORA-00933: SQL command not properly ended

Nologging is (seemingly) interpreted as some part of the where
clause, and Oracle does not understand it. Moving nologging up,
does not work either, as follows:

     -- 4. This HAS a where clause AND column specification,
     -- and Nologging before the select clause.
     INSERT  into table1 (a)
     NOLOGGING
     SELECT  dummy
     FROM    dual