So, there I am, trying to find out what client a connection to an 8.1.7 DB
on Solaris is coming from.  Naturally, I "SELECT USERNAME, MACHINE, TERMINAL
FROM V$SESSION;"  Lo and behold, there is a generic login for the username,
column MACHINE in all rows contains "jdbcclient" and TERMINAL contains
"unknown".  With SQLNet and Net8 these two columns are populated as one
would expect.  Also, the OSUSER column is generic, so I'm not able to use
that info.

Never having used JDBC (yet), is there a setting in the JDBC client to set
these?  More importantly, if there is, WHY would there be such a setting?
And how am I supposed to track this down, aside from SHUTDOWN ABORT (ick)?

TIA,
Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA