----- Original Message -----
To: "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 9:39 AM

Team,
Correct me if I am wrong, please.. If you delete the alert.log file with the
database up and running, the oracle still thinks the file exists and writes
to a non existant file that you can't "see". The proper method of reducing
the file size is to copy the file to a backup location, and edit the
original and delete rows from the file. OR if you do not need to keep the
original log for analysis you could copu /dev/null > alert.log.
Just a house keeping note.
ROR mª¿ªm

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 04/24/01 09:21AM >>>
Sinardy,

First, I suggest you find some time and sit down and READ the Oracle
documentation. Otherwise you are going to get a large number of "RTFM"
emails, and some flaming as well.

Now.. the alert log is created (if it does not already exist) or written to
every time Oracle wants to record an event that has happened in the
database/instance. So log switches will be in there, database shutdown and
startup messages, errors dealing with the infrastructure of the database
(failure to extend a rollback segment, failure to get space in the temp
segment, disasterous database errors etc) There are other messages as well,
I'm not going to list every one.

Bdump contains trace files that relate to the Oracle background process --
anything generated by smon, pmon, etc

Udump contains trace files that relate to specific user Oracle processes

Cdump contains core dumps, associated with one or another trace files in the
bdump directory.

Rachel

Author: Rachel Carmichael

Author: Ron Rogers