The interesting thing I've since tried is that it will work on our production database
(which is Novell 8.1.5.0.4), but not on the archive (NT 8.1.5.0.0) or the test one
(which was made from an export of the archive) that I'm trying to set up.

The archive was made from a backup of the former production server before it was
converted from NT to Novell.

I get the same error on some other tables, too, but I can insert on some as well.

There are no specific privileges for this table or its columns as shown in
dba_tab_privs or dba_col_privs.

It gives me the same error if I drop the public synonym as you would expect.

There are no triggers on this table.

Michael Ray
Oracle DBA
TRW, Marshall, IL
217-826-3011 x2438

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 05/05/01 08:30AM >>>
Ian,

You are correct.  If you're connected as FARS_OWNER
the public synonym will not be referenced since you
own a table named MFGALIASTYPE.

I suspect the error is not being signaled by the
insert itself, but by some underlying recursive sql.
Is there a trigger on this table?  If not, the trace
file generated by the following events should help
(you may need to log a tar with support for assistance
in reading the trace file).

alter session set events '10046 trace name context
forever, level 4';
alter session set events 1732 trace name errorstack
forever, level 10';

HTH,

-- Anita

Author: Michael Ray