dude,

The article is not actually providing "details", it is just
reporting that Oracle has provided "details". Who got
them, when, how, where is a different story. :)

It is weird how the article doesn't cite any specific
sources at Oracle. I even looked in www.oracle.com's press
releases page (yuk), and so forth, and couldn't see anything.
Although there is a "Press Portal" at www.oracle.com that
seems to require registration prior to access.

In terms of general 9i product information, there is a lot
of stuff (see below), but I couldn't find *anything* at the
first or second level of the 9i info that jumped out at me
as being focused clearly explaining "self tuning" details.

The "data sheet" on Oracle9i Manageability (URL below) refers

http://www.oracle.com/ip/deploy/database/9i/continuity/index.html?manageas.html

to startup/backup issues, and indicates that "a persistent
INIT.ORA feature" is used to bring "self tuned" parameter
settings "across shutdowns".

Sounds like an incredibly giant pile of cr*p to me. The
assumption they are presumably arguing *against* is that
self-tuned features would somehow be non-persistent. The
circumstances under which a "self tuning" database would
forget what it had done previously is unexplained.
Apparently the people that produce the marketing drivel at
Oracle either have no clue about this specific topic, or the
material was presented to them in an incoherent maner (or
both). At any rate it is exceptionally unhelpful to the
reader (especially those without a lot of time to waste) to
hae to attempt to make sense out of such garbage.

Moving right along...

In the "Resource Management" section (same URL):

 - self-managing rollback segments (some detail)

 - multi-block size db files for portability

 - memory management:

     * SGA self tuning (buffer cache and shared pool)

     * SGA "tuning advisories"

     * "transparent management of working memory for SQL
        execution by self tuning the initialization runtime
        parameters controlling allocation of private memory"

 - "Oracle Managed Files" (auto creation of db files)

 - "control downtime ... specify  mean time to recover
   (MTTR) ... in number of seconds ... coupled with
   dynamic initialization parameters ... improve
   database availability"

   (which means ??????????, I don't know)

- "new capability ... resumable statements ... temporarily
   suspend ... operation ...  process encounters out of
   space errors ... fix problem ... resume the operation
   from the point of interruption ... without disrupting
   normal database operations"

[new section:]
"End-to-End Management of Oracle's Internet Infrastructure

  ... is continuous system availability, reliability, and
 performance ... important ingredient ... ability to
 comprehensively manage all system components. ...
 Enterprise Manager ... support[s] the new capabilities of
 the database ... integrated central console. "

(explanation follow about a variety of features and tools
that make *MANUAL* tuning, *by the dba*, easier!!!)

  "Summary

   Self-tuning, self-managing Oracle9i monitors your system
   to provide high availability, reliability and minimized
   downtime. Whether you are a hosting service, in-house
   data center, or IT organization, you can rely on Oracle9i
   and its system management products to provide optimal
   quality of service to all users. "

While there is probably some good stuff in the above, the
overall tone is rather hyped, especially seeing as how there
appears to be far more empasis on providing more/better dba
tools (for "manual" opreations) than "real" self-tuning
features.

-
http://www.oracle.com/features/index.html?9ieconomy.html
-
http://www.oracle.com/ip/index.html?content.html
-
http://www.oracle.com/ip/deploy/database/9i/continuity/index.html?content.html
-
http://www.oracle.com/ip/deploy/database/9i/continuity/index.html?availability.html
-
http://www.oracle.com/ip/deploy/database/9i/continuity/index.html?manageas.html
-

regards,
ep

Date sent:              Thu, 10 May 2001 08:41:04 -0800
To:                     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Funny. The article says "Oracle details....." and there is not a
single detail in the article.

Bad Journalism, or Great Marketeering?

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/05/03/010503hndatabase.xml?p=br&s=2

http://www.crn.com/Sections/BreakingNews/BreakingNews.asp?ArticleID=26312