Title: RE: Database Down

Here some help from Paul Drake on NT diagnostics tools you can put in place to send yourself event logs.

Sample code to email event logs

C:\>blat -install mail.mydomain.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Failed to open registry key for Blat profile , using default.

SMTP server set to mail.mydomain.com on port 25 with user [EMAIL PROTECTED], retry

1 time(s)

C:\>dumpel -F my_app_log.txt -L Application -c

Dump successfully completed.

C:\>blat C:\my_app_log.txt -to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sending C:\my_app_log.txt to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Login name is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<received email in the recipient email account>

dumpel.exe - NT command to dump the event logs to file - NT Resource Kit.

The book Windows Admin Scripting describes this on pg 279. ISBN 1-57610-881-3

D:\>dumpel /?

DumpEl usage:

-e nn Filters for event id nn (up to 10 may be specified)

-f <filename> Output filename (default stdout)

-l <name> Dumps the specified log (system, application, security)

-b Dumps a backup file (use -l to specify file name)

-m <name> Filters for events logged by name

-r Filters out events logged by name (must use -m too)

-s <servername> Remote to servername

-t Use tab to separate strings (default is space)

-c Use comma to separate fields

-ns Do not output strings

-format <fmt> Specify output format. Default format is

dtTCISucs

where

t - time

d - date

T - event type

C - event category

I - event ID

S - event source

u - user

c - computer

s - strings

blat.exe - NT freeware utility for sending mail with attachments

The book Windows Admin Scripting includes a routine to generate a spreadsheet of Backup Exec jobs using the Windows Scripting Host shell - but I haven't used WSH yet.

hth,

Paul