From: Arslan Dar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 5:05 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Number Vs. Varchar2 Datatype

Hi list,

We are in the design phase of our new database and eventually there a number of feilds which are actually numeric say DEPARTMENT NUMBER or EMPLOYEE CODE (they dont contain any alphabat or special character) ,

The main decision to be made right now is to choose the right datatype, Options ofcourse are VARCHAR2 or NUMBER, i know its better to have varchar2 cuz its a bit flexible, but i want some expert opinion,

can u tell me any pros and cons of having NUMBER or Varchar2 datatype on a feild which is numeric, which may be PRIMARY KEY and also which is NOT always used in Calculations,

which datatype is more efficient

Its Oracle 8.1.7 on NT4,

TIA,

Arslan