Now that sounds like a fantastic idea, now all that I have to do is figure
out how you do that?:0  Kev

-----Original Message-----
McDonald
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 1:47 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

if you get 18's then you can just use the outer 9G
portion of each drive to get better performance.

The trick then is convincing management when more disk
is needed that you don't want to use the inner portion

hth
connor

--- Kevin Kostyszyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Hi
all,
>       Just thought I would throw this one out there and
> see what all of you hot
> shots think.  I am going to rebuild a server into a
> DB Server.  Currently it
> has IDE drives in there and obviously I am not going
> to be using those.  So
> I need to invest in some new SCSI drives.  Here's
> what I had in mind:
>
> Either 4 X 9.2 Gig 10K RPM with 2mb Cache
> OR     4 X 18.4 GIG 10K with 4MB cache
>
> I was initially leaning towards the 9 gigs to save
> on cost, however someone
> pointed out that 18 would be a better idea for
> growth down the line.  Also I
> want to keep them all of the same size in case one
> goes down then I may have
> room on another.
>       What are your thoughts on this?  Does anyone know
> what "ultra fibre scsi"
> means?  Does anyone recommend brands to stear clear
> of?  I know that Seagate
> is a pretty good name, but I can't find any in Ultra
> 2?  Anyone know if
> Hitachi is a good name?
>       Thanks in advance.
>
> Sincerely,
> Kevin Kostyszyn
> DBA
> Dulcian, Inc
> www.dulcian.com
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: Kevin Kostyszyn
>   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=

Author: Kevin Kostyszyn