Kev,

Trying to add multiple DBWR processes on NT is useless since NT uses asynch.
I/O.  If you remember, all the Oracle processes (DBWR, LGWR, CKPT, ARCH,
etc.) run as threads under the oracle.exe process.

Multiple DBWR processes are definitely a Unix thing!

Also, here's something from MetaStink on the issue:

Oracle on NT only allows/needs a single database writer process (DBWR).

Multiple DBWRs on UNIX is not multiple "real" DBWRs which
all go scan for dirty buffers and write them to disk. It's really just one
"real" DBWR and some I/O slaves. The "real" DBWR tells the slave DBWRs to do
I/O.

On NT, there's really no need for this since async I/O and NT will
take care of all that for you. NT acts as the I/O slaves and the "real" DBWR
[1 DBWR thread] then checks the "slaves" to see if the I/O is done.

Melissa Holman
Oracle Support

Ed

Ed Haskins