Tuesday, June 05, 2001, 7:45:23 AM, Patrice Boivin wrote:
BPJ> So what does this mean for O'Reilly Publishers, if all these good authors
BPJ> now fall under the wing of database consulting firms?  Quest through
BPJ> O'Reilly, and TUSC through Oracle Press?  Steven Feuerstein used to publish
BPJ> via O'Reilly.

I work for O'Reilly & Associates now, so I can speak to this
question somewhat. I honestly don't see that all this means
much of anything to us. Most authors with a good publisher
relationship will continue to write for their current
publisher. Steven, for example, is currently working on some
projects with us. I wouldn't expect to see Kevin Looney or Guy
Harrison or any other author change publishers just
because they went to work for a different consulting
company.

It's interesting though, that companies such as TUSC and
Quest seem to have targeted high-profile Oracle authors.
Aside from the fact that Kevin Looney and others are very
good at what they do, I expect there's a significant
marketing advantage to having an author or two on staff.
Back when I worked for KPMG, I was once sent to create and
manage a database for a troubled project. The fact that I
had written a book went over very well with the client, and
generally seemed to smooth my road. For example,
non-technical client managers paid attention to me, and I
was able to cut through the beaurocracy and get things done.
Was I really any better than any other competent DBA?
Probably not. My books just gave me "instant credibility"
with management.

I don't think Kevin Looney will spend all his time in the
backroom wrestling with the software. He'll be out in front,
dealing directly with clients, and selling his firm.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] * 906.387.1698
http://Gennick.com * http://MichiganWaterfalls.com * http://MetalDrums.org