Hi
If the pattern of deleted dta leaves you with many almost empty leaf blocks then
you may find that you would benefit from and index COALESCE rather than a
REBUILD.
On the subject of wasted space in table blocks it's very difficult to
generalise. The best way to go may be to analyse the table immediately after the
delete and see how the space is being used. You could then decide on appropriate
table settings.
It's possible to 'rebuild' a table by using ALTER TABLE MOVE . . . though it
does have restrictions so is not universaly applicable.
Would partitioning be an option for you? If you're dropping years of data at a
time then you could drop a whole year's partition at a single stroke. It would
be faster and would release the space immediately.
Hope that some of that helps. I also hope you hadn't already thought of it all =
)

Regards,
Mike Hately
Oracle DBA.

Greg

My concern is How can I reuse the deleted space, I have 20Gb Table with 15Gb
Indexes, So I may not touch the table due to massiveness, I can do atleast
indexes rebuild for availing 3-4Gb back. So in that regard pct_used has
greater significance for reusing the space for future insertions.

Thank you all for your responses and valueble input.

Thanks
Raghu.

Author: Raghu Kota