Oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris 2.6. Backups are on the tape on a Tivoli Storage Manager

I have been trying to do a Tablespace-Point-In-Time_Recovery with RMAN. I have read
the RMAN and Backup and Recovery manual as well as Rama Velpuri's Backup and Recovery
Handbook.
I still don't am not grasping parts of the concepts.
Do you copy all database and control files to an alternate location and have two
databases running against one instance? Or is it two instances and two different
databases? Are both databases started at the same time?

Then do you restore your datafiles from the backup (in my case tape) to the datafile
copies. How do I direct the restore to an alternate location using RMAN?
For the init parameters DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT  can you enter
more than one conversion? Say for datafiles on u01/oradata and u02/oradata

Are clone and auxiliary databases the same thing?
I only have a year experience as a DBA so part of the problem is not knowing the
fundamentals well enough.
Any help is appreciated.

Don Bricker
Information Systems Analyst
Illinois Environmental Protection Agency
1021 North Grand Avenue East
Mail Code #32
Springfield, IL 62794-9276
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(217) 558-2290
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.3105.105" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT: 8pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris 2.6. Backups are on the tape on a Tivoli Storage
Manager </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>I have been trying to do a Tablespace-Point-In-Time_Recovery
with RMAN. I have read the RMAN and Backup and Recovery manual as well as Rama
Velpuri's Backup and Recovery Handbook.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>I still don't am not grasping parts of the
concepts.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Do you copy all database and control files to an alternate
location and have two databases running against one instance? Or is it two
instances and two different databases? Are both databases started at the same
time?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Then do you restore your datafiles from the backup (in my case
tape) to the datafile copies. How do I direct the restore to an alternate
location using RMAN?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>For the init parameters DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and
LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT&nbsp; can you enter more than one conversion? Say for
datafiles on u01/oradata and u02/oradata</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Are clone and auxiliary databases the same thing?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>I only have a year experience as a DBA so part of the problem
is not knowing the fundamentals well enough.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Any help is appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Don Bricker<BR>Information Systems Analyst<BR>Illinois
Environmental Protection Agency<BR>1021 North Grand Avenue East<BR>Mail Code
#32<BR>Springfield, IL 62794-9276<BR><A
href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]";>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A><BR>(217)

558-2290</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>