In fact, I use these fully qualified views all the time. A couple of notes:

- V$ "views" are, in fact, synonyms for the V_$ views.

- V_$ views are indeed views on the GV$ views which, as has been previous
been stated, are views on the X$ tables.

- There is no real performance gain to using the view name itself rather
than the synonym. There are two advantages, though. (1) the v$ synonyms are
public synonyms and therefore clutter the library cache with references to
non-existent objects; (2) versions of Oracle prior to 7.3 do not have these
public synonyms and so references to dba_data_files, for example, must be
made as sys.dba_data_files.

As a result of all this, I use this syntax almost exclusively.

Hope this helps.

--

Jon Walthour, BSCD
Oracle 8i Certified Database Administrator (OCDBA)

Author: Jon Walthour