-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 3:01 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

My users are writing many of their own functions and it is causing
performance to suffer
on a few simple queries. For example, I have a query that just selects
count(*) from a
table. With the function

select count(*) from a_table where a_column = cdk(1234567890);

It takes 5 minutes

By plugging in the result of the cdk function into the query

select count(*) from a_table where a_column = 0987654321;

It take .18 of a second.

How can I tell the optimizer that the result of the function will be the
same every
time so you don't need to call it for every row?  I can do this in the app
but it would
be cool to know if I can do this on the database side also.

Thanks, Dave

Author: David Turner

Author: Khedr, Waleed