Mike,

The presentation was called Exploding the Myths... but we were tricky,
rather than include only things that were wrong (that would make it too easy
for the audience), we also included things that were right.

So we had "sounds right but is wrong"  "sounds wrong but is right"  "sounds
okay but is 'well, maybe'" statements in it

It started as an all-day seminar at ECO. We wanted to start discussions and
tangents.  We did.

So, setting timed_statistics=true was a sounds wrong but is right

having lots of extents is not a problem is a sounds okay but is a well,
maybe

the reason for that one is, "it depends" (don't you love clear concise
answers?). You need (as Paul pointed out) to define "lots" and you need to
know your database and how it is being used.  In general, for a table that
is only being inserted into and is not being deleted from/updated on an ad
hoc basis (say a table that logs page hits), then lots of extents can be a
high number and isn't bad.

But if you have a table that is in flux, with large volumes of data being
deleted, then lots of extents can be bad (example: table with 60,000
extents. truncate table. finished 16 hours later)

I was told in the Data Server Internals class I took that in general, Oracle
can handle up to 1000 extents very well, and that going over 4096 could have
repercussions. Please note this was for 8i

Rachel

Author: Rachel Carmichael